Call Center of the Alabama Department of Mental Health in Montgomery: 1-800-361-4491.
Do you know of a link that should be listed here? Contact the Arc today and request the site to be added! Contact Jessica at (256) 539-2266 or by
Back to Top
Information on Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities
- Rest Ministries, Inc. - Christian organization for people who live with chronic illness or pain.
- Center for Enriched Living - Provide social and recreational programs for over 400 children, adults and senior citizens with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities.
- Amazing Kids - Children's Institute's goal is to enable children and young adults with special needs to realize their fullest potential.
- Gluten-Free Information - Service to people with Downs Syndrome.
- Florida Developmental Disabilities Council - The FDDC guides development and administration of services for people with developmental disabilities by planning and funding research, innovations, and programs to improve the quality of their lives.
- The New York State Rehabilitation Association - A Statewide association of 140 not-for-profit agencies across New York State that provide services for people with disabilities.
- Vocational & Rehabilitation Research Institute
- Toward Independent Living & Learning - TILL
- Ministry Health Care
- Cotting School, (MA) Day school in Lexington, MA for boys and girls ages 3-22 with physical, learning and communication needs.
- The Accreditation Council - A resource for individuals, families, advocates, provider organizations, professionals and the public sector.
- Mental Health Resources - a national directory of resources and professionals in the mental health and disability fields.
- Autism Society of Alabama - Information and political action site for Alabamians concerned about autism.
- Mercaz Harmony - website all about special education and inclusion.
- IdeaList - The Contact Center Network, Inc. is a New York based nonprofit organization to help people take action on the issues that concern them.
- National Fragile X Foundation - A comprehensive site, developed by the National Fragile XX Foundation, dedicate to information and resources pertaining to fragile X syndrome.
- World Association of Persons with Disabilities - A website for persons with disabilities on the Internet.
- The Comprehensive Williams Syndrome Home Page
- Toys for Special Children. - Enabling Devices develops and manufactures assistive and adaptive technologies for the physically challenged.
- Associates for Human Services, Inc. - A private, not-for-profit, agency in Southeastern Massachusetts, providing services that develop independent living, community integration, freedom of choice and physical and mental well-being for children, adolescents, adults and their families.
- New York State Commission on Quality Care - Serves people with mental disabilities and their families by providing independent oversight of the quality and cost effectiveness of services provided by all mental hygiene programs in New York State.
- Fond du Lac County Department of Social Services (Wisconsin) - Aging and Disability Resource Center.
- Sullivan ARC - Sullivan County, Monticello, New York.
- People Inc. - A private, non-profit agency providing services to individuals with special needs and their families throughout Western New York.
- North Bay Regional Center - NBRC is an agency that provides or funds services for people with developmental special needs in Napa, Solano & Sonoma County, CA.
- American Association of People with Disabilities
- Prader-Willi Syndrome Arizona Association
- Central England People First
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Calif. Depart. Of Developmental Services
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Down Syn On-Line
- Dyslexia - A site in England for anyone interested in dyslexia
- Employment Support Institute - Helping people make better decisions about employment options and policies.
- Gentle Teaching Web Site
- Harbor Regional Center
- Hydrocephalus Association Homepage - Website for Hydrocephalus Association, including Hydrocephalus fact sheet.
- JAN - Job Accommodation Network
- Logan - for families and individuals with disabilities
- National Organization for Rare Disorders - Technical assistance and information dissemination on rare disorders.
- Research & Training Ctr. On Family Support/Children's Mental Health
- Speaking for Ourselves
- United Cerebral Palsy of Dallas
- United Cerebral Palsy of New York City
- UPSIDE - An informal society of individuals, parents and friends involved in the world of Down syndrome.
Back to Top
Parenting Information and Support
- Our-Kids: Devoted to Raising Special Kids with Special Needs - a website devoted to providing support and information for parents and caregivers of children with disabilities.
- The Institute for Community Inclusion - Organization which advocates for the right of all people with disabilities to be full participants in all aspects of their communities.
- Chromosome Disorder Outreach, Inc. - Organization providing information and support to families affected by any type or rare chromosome disorder.
- Kennedy Krieger Institute - Dedicated to helping children and adolescents with disorders of the brain achieve their potential and participate as fully as possible in family, school and community life.
- Pennsylvania Federation Council for Exceptional Children
- CTAA - Human services agencies that provide any sort of transpiration
- The Alliance of Genetic Support Groups - A national coalition of consumers, professionals and genetic support groups for concerns on genetic conditions
- PACER Center (Parent Training & Information Center)
- The Special Kids Company
- The Association of Congenital Diaphtagmatic Hernia Research, Advocacy, and Support.
- 11q Research & Resource Group - Provides support and organizational efforts for parents of all children with 11th chromosome abnormalities.
- Adoption Advocates - Specializing in adoptive family support.
- Clinician's View Home Page
- Down Syndrome Home Page - Home page for the Down syndrome list serve.
- Down Syndrome On The Internet
- National Child Care Information Center - A federally-funded project to complement, enhance and promote child care linkages and to serve as a mechanism for supporting quality, comprehensive services for children and families. NCCIC addresses the child care needs of children with disabilities.
- Basic Educational Materials - Basic Educational Materials, Publishers offers quality educational materials for special needs professionals.
- The Sibling Support Project - An excellent site of sibling support resources, workshops and connections regarding brothers and sisters of people with disabilities, chronic illnesses or mental health concerns.
Back to Top
Disability Resource Lists and Directories
Back to Top
National Disability Organizations
Back to Top
International Disability Organizations
- Canadian Abilities Foundation - The Canadian Abilities Foundation's mission is to provide information, inspiration, and opportunity to Canadians with disabilities, their families, friends and the entire spectrum of professionals working in their service.
- Cri Du chat Syndrome
- Special Interest Research Group on Aging and Intellectual Disabilities - An international organization of researchers, providers, administrators, and others who are interested in the aging of people with intellectual disabilities.
- Aladdin Project: Theatre for Human Development with Special Populations - Their goal is to enhance the self-esteem and quality of life of a variety of special populations through creative modalities such as drama, art, music, and dance.
- Canadian Association for Community Living
- How Can I Help? - A booklet for friends and relatives when a family has a child with cerebral palsy. Produced by the Cerebral Palsy Association of Western Australia, Ltd.
- Center for Rehabilitation Engineering Research (Sweden)- Individuals interested in assistive technology for people with developmental disabilities.
- Health Nexus - Formerly the Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
- National Clearinghouse of Rehabilitation Training Materials
Back to Top
Assistive Technology, Software and Electronic Information
Back to Top
Health Promotion and Disability Prevention
Back to Top
Consulting Disability-Related Sites
Back to Top
Universities and University Based Programs
- Virginia Commonwealth University - Rehabilitation Research and Training Center on Workplace Support.
- National Clearinghouse - National Clearinghouse of Rehabilitation Training Materials
- The Transition Research Institute at the University of Illinois - Headquarters for the National Transition Alliance for Youth with Disabilities, promotes the inclusion of youth with disabilities in the national school-to-work efforts.
- The Shriver Center - The Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center for intellectual disabilities
- Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities - Learning for Life
- Center for Housing and New Community Economics - A Technical Assistance Center at the University of New Hampshire Institute on Disability.
- Project INSPIRE -A philosophy in which all individuals can participate in physical activities that enable them to be cognitively, and affectively successful within a community that embraces diversity.
- Center on Education and Work - Located at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, School of Education, the Center on Education and Work provides information on Vocational Education, Tech Prep programs and school to work/transition programs.
- C L A S Culturally & Linguistically Appropriate Services -Early Childhood Research Institute
- The Center on Human Policy - A Syracuse University based policy, research and advocacy organization. Includes information about ordering Human Policy Press publications.
- Civitan International Research Center (Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham)
- The Institute on Community Integration - A University Affiliated Program at the University of Minnesota dedicated to improving community services for people with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Interwork Institute at San Diego State University - The Interwork Institute is comprised of two divisions; the Rehabilitation Continuing Education Efforts and Special Education. All efforts focus on promoting the integration of individuals with disabilities into all aspects of school, work, family and community life.
- National Clearing House of Rehabilitation Materials
- UC Berkeley School Psychology
- University of Virginia - Web site for University of Virginia, Curry School of Education's Special Education Program.
Back to Top
Disability Service Providers
- Lifeworks, Inc. - Provide residential and employment services to individuals with developmental disabilities in Westwood, MA.
- Inland Regional Center - Services for developmentally disabled individuals and their families in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties.
- Louisiana Lions Camp - The Louisiana Lions Camp is a state project of the Lions Clubs of Louisiana, MD-8
- Melmark - Provides residential, educational, therapeutic, and recreational services for children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Association for Children with Down Syndrome - ACDS offers educational, therapeutic, behavioral and health-related services to people with Down syndrome and their families.
- Avenues to Independence
- Supported Life Institute - The mission of the Supported Life Institute is to offer educational and training opportunities to assist individuals and organizations in the work of improving the quality of life for people with disabilities.
- Camp Optimism - Summer Residential Camp for Physically Challenged or Disabled Children.
- Order of Alhambra - A Fraternal Order of Catholic Men Dedicated to assisting persons developmentally disabled by intellectual disabilities.
- St. Francis Camp on the Lake - Camp exclusively open for the developmentally disabled with intellectual disabilities in the summer months.
- Harbor Regional Center - Serving Los Angeles County, California
- Hattie Larlham Foundation - Service Agency in Ohio serving children and young adults with intellectual disabilities and developmental disabilities.
- Little City
- Autism Treatment Center of America - Co-founded by Samahria and Barry Neil Kaufman (author of the book SON-RISE), the Option Institute "serves special needs children and their families challenged by autism, Down syndrome, Attention Deficit Disorder and other disabilities" and also has year-round programs for adults.
- Riverbrook Facility
- The Chileda Institute - a treatment center and care program for children and young adults who exhibit severe mental disabilities.
Back to Top
Federally Funded Projects on Intellectual/Developmental Disability Issues
Back to Top
Information on Disability Legislation
Back to Top
Back to Top
Organizational and Grant Resources
Disability Related Products & Services
- Special Needs Project - Good Books About Disabilities
- KidAccess - Foster the uses of technology to meet the needs of children with cognitive impairments.
- RJ Cooper & Associates- Products of Software, Hardware and Assistive Technology services for disabled persons and support persons.
- Biotrast- A contract research organization specializing in biomedical engineering & medicine, computer-based & distance learning.
- Lekoteks - Providing accessible play environments, information, resources to parents and family support. Adapted toys and computer equipment are available for loan.
- Career Planning Specialists Software, Inc. - Designers of OPEN OPTIONS, a computer assisted information base providing vocational information for vocational/career practitioners.
- Gus! Communications Inc.- Develops software products for individuals with speech impairments and maker of the Gus! Multimedia Speech System for Windows.
- HITEC Group, Int'l, Inc. - Specializing in communication AT.
- LAB Resources - Special needs computer software applications.
- Prentke Romich Company- A leading manufacturer of communication
- Wilderness Inquiry's - Wilderness Inquiry creates outdoor adventure for people of all ages and abilities.
- Human Services Research Institute - An organization that focuses on various aspects of people with disabilities including managed care, quality insurance, long-term care, policy and other areas.
- PCI Educational Publishing
- Mastertrack Student Manager - Comprehensive, state-of-the-art software for managing special education programs and services.
- Habilitation Software, Inc. - is a company in the business of creating and selling software for agencies who serve people with developmental disabilities for 14 years now.
- American Airlines - Travel tips for customers with disabilities.
- Different Roads to Learning - Play things for children with disabilities
- The Disability Link Barn
- Inclusion Press Home Page - Publishers of books and various other publications on inclusion.
- James Stanfield Publishing Co. - A wide array of education and training materials (videos, curriculum, etc.) for students with developmental disabilities grades K-12 grade.
- Personal Touch Health Care Apparel - Provider of adaptive and specially apparel for people with disabilities.
- Monaco & Associates, Inc. - Disability - related software, videos, etc.
- SAGE Publications - Publishes textbooks and scholarly work related to disability and disability services.
- Learning Services Corporation - Long -Term supported living for persons with acquired brain injury
- Calab Inc. - Calab is committed to provide quality services that enhance independence they serve.
Back to Top